Monday, December 28, 2015

Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop: A Modern Guide to the Ancient Art of Mokuhanga by April Vollmer

This is a gloriously detailed, beautifully designed book on the ancient art of Mokuhanga (Japanese Woodblock ). In another life, I majored in Asian Studies, with an emphasis on Japan. The delicacy of Japanese art has always drawn me. When I opened this book, I had the naive notion that, since I have been wanting to try block printing as an art form, that maybe I could learn how. What I did learn is the complexity of the art, and details of the craft-- everything from making tools, preparing brushes, carving the plates, even the paper. It's far more than I am able to do at this time (and as we live in a small space, my husband would cringe if I brought in all the implements for making a good woodblock), but the book is so complete that should someone want to do so, they'd have a guide written by a master at their fingertips.

Many thanks to Blogging for Books and to the publishers for sending me a copy of the book. And Thank you April Vollmer for sharing your art and knowledge, and for finding beautiful work of others to include in the book as well. Amazing.

tags: artblogging-for-booksi-liked-the-picturesreadtaught-me-somethingwow

No comments:

Post a Comment