Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson

As I read this book, I wondered if it was a secret history*, and what actually happened to San Francisco in 1909 (even though the book is set a tad earlier).

Wonderful mixture of Daoism, ghost hunting, martial arts, San Francisco's Chinatown, magic, a great central character, and a couple of great side-kicks, who may, or may not be ghosts and monsters. I got lost in some of the forms in fighting, but then, I have trouble remembering the forms doing Tai Chi, and I do that every day (and have for almost 4 years now.)

Found this via a FB post of author Michael Livingston, who mentioned seeing the book on the shelf near his own book, while travelling at Christmas. Good tip. Wish I had energy to write a full review, but have just enough to give it a hearty thumbs up.

*Secret histories are those tales set in our world, within our events and time lines, but depict additional happenings than what we are told in our history books.

Tags: read-in-2015thank-you-charleston-county-libraryfantasysecret-historytaught-me-somethingmade-me-look-something-upplaces-i-have-beenwill-look-for-more-by-this-author 

No comments:

Post a Comment