Friday, February 27, 2015

Near Enemy by Adam Sternberg (a Spademan novel)

When I read a debut novel and really like it, I'm both eager and hesitant for the next. Will the elements I liked in the initial book carry through? With Near Enemy, I owe Adam Sternberg a huge thank you (and maybe a drink if he ever comes to town.) Spademan is back, and the novel is good. Again there's crisp, fragments of dialog (which I understand drove some readers nuts, but I enjoyed), characters who have depth, darkness, and light. The New York City and surrounds of a post-dirty-bomb-in-Times-Square world is fascinating, horrifying. The plot-line has satisfying twists and layers. In a world that no longer has many of my favorite mystery/suspense writers, and where, as a science-fiction fan who is tired of aliens and off-world stories, Spademan has slid right into the opening on my bookshelf. I look forward to more in the series.  Thank you to Blogging for Books and the publisher for sending me this copy.

PS Shovel Ready was the first novel.

Tags: alternate-history, an-author-i-read, blogging-for-books, i-liked-it, read, suspense-thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment