Friday, August 2, 2013

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

I just have to outright say it. Any book that introduces teens to Rainer Maria Rilke (who happens to be one of my favorite poets), is okay by me, so no matter what, I like this book. My eldest grandgirl (who told me about the book, and is the reason I picked it up to read) took our copy of Rilke off the shelf and read it her first evening here, mostly, I suspect, because it was the poetry Sam read to Grace in the book. That's pretty darn cool.

The story itself is a romance. Wolf meets girl, wolf loses girl, boy gets girl, girl loses wolf -- or something along those lines. Grace has a thing for the wolves in the Minnesota woods behind her home, especially for the golden eyed one who saved her life when she was a child and was attacked by other wolves in the pack. So, when the golden-eyed wolf turns out to be a shape-shifter, who loves her back, you get the romantic set-up. There's some community drama thrown in, as well as pack dominance, and some incredibly irresponsible parents, who should have Child Protection set on them. But all in all, despite plot flaws, I liked the book.

I know there are two other books in the series, which I pretty much (according to grandgirl) guessed the plot, so I may not read them, as I've got a huge TBR pile. But, if I stumble upon either one via BookCrossing or my local library, I'll give it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment