Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Reminded me of a modern day take on Rear Window, if Jimmy Stewart was an alcoholic, depressive, divorced female in England, prone to blackouts. I'd tried to get a copy of this book through several of my usual sources, but was unable to, and then this one fell into my hands. It kept me pretty attentive while reading, and was surprised to hear that a friend didn't like it at all. She wasn't thrilled with the writing, having just come off a book where the author's craft with words was phenomenal. I, on the other hand, had just come off a book I couldn't finish, where the best thing I could say about it was that the previous reader, who'd left the book on a book exchange shelf where I found it, had also left me a partially filled book of first class stamps. Anyhow, I liked the book, even though the characters were all kind of pitiful, and didn't start to cotton onto the twist until well into the second half. Nice debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment