Friday, July 11, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith

Apparently, back in October 2013, when I read The Cuckoo's Calling, I decided not to post to my book blog (where I generally only post books that I've either read for review or are new, or I have actual thoughts on.) Much had already been said at the time about Robert Galbraith's debut novel, especially when he turned out to be J K Rowling, and I believe that's the reason I opted out on sharing my somewhat benign thoughts on the book. However, today, one of my favorite sites/strips, Unshelved, shared a synopsis that did the book more justice than I did with my faint praise.  For the record, here's what I wrote back in October over at my book sites (BookCrossing, GoodReads, Librarything): 


Good solid writing, with two lead characters, who, when fleshed out further, will be the sort to draw people back. The mystery wasn't bad either, but for all the hype, I was a little disappointed. Yes, it was good writing, if this was indeed a first time author. For JK Rowling, it was good writing, too, but not exceptional. The back story the leads was the most interesting part for me. The immersion into the world of fashion and celebrity, I found sad. If another in the series comes my way, I'll read it, but I'm loathe to get sucked into another series otherwise.
And here's Unshelved's version (If you need it larger, click the link):

No comments:

Post a Comment