Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Ack-Ack Macaque, by Gareth L Powell (not a review, just some observations)

Now that's a cover!
It's not that I don't think this book is clever, or well written, or lacks some steam punk/alternative history chops. I just need to put it aside for another day. The cover, alone, is worth reading the book to find out what's going on. I guess I'm a sucker for a airman monkey, with an eyepatch, a cigar and a revolver. (Enough so, so that I checked out this post on the author's blog, Painting the Monkey, which surely must be a euphemism for something.

Anyhow, my mind is too scattered right now to give this the proper attention it deserves, and I've been unable to move out of the origins of Ack-Ack in 1944 to get to the guts of the story set a century later when the fun really gets going. I'll keep this in the pile by my bedside to read. I'm suspecting I'll want to hand it off to one or two folks at this year's JordanCon.

First started December 28, then put aside for another day.
Tags: bookcrossing, put-aside-for-another-day, great-cover, great-title, steampunk, science-fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment