Monday, June 25, 2012

There's something special about Sundays


Even though it's now Mondy, one more bit of Sunday summertime specialness for me:  The Sunday Brunch Farmer's Market at Medway Park in Riverland Terrace. It's been going on a few weeks, and has one more Sunday, as I think July 1 is the last market scheduled.


There's my friend Rena, the genius behind Happy Camper Snoballs. Whenever I see her or her vintage 1965 camper (not to mention the colorful and tasty snoballs, served in mini takeout food cartons), I can't help but smile.


I waved to her on my way to see Amber over at Diggity Doughnuts , where I was collecting an engagement gift for my friends Kiley and Jeff.  Kiley had written an article on Diggity a few months back, and was dreaming of picking up a few doughnuts when she's here in July. Unfortunately for Kiley, Diggity is going on vaycay for July and August, but I arranged to grab some goodness and park it in my freezer until Kiley gets here.


Yeah. Like they're gonna last.

I love the farmer's market on Saturdays at Marion Square, but in some ways, this smaller one on Sundays  is much more homey.  I get to see the lovely Meg from Dirthugger farm right here on James Island. I used her radishes in our farro salad last night. Mmmmm. Can't get more local than that, except in my own back yard.  Anyone as passionate about fruits and veggies as she is, is tops in my book. 

There's Andy from Artisan Tees (I'm wearing one of his original designs as I type),
Mary and Ron from Earth Maiden, Brian or someone from Rio Bertolinis, with fabulous pasta, and if you're lucky, fresh gelato, Bonnie from Lazy B Farm, who has fresh Japanese Quail eggs, the fine folks from Baguette Magic, a food truck or two, and some other vendors.

The thing is, though I'm not a farmer, or an artist, or a provider of fine local goods and taste treats, these people are all my friends.  They give their hearts and their talents to their community, and I give mine right back to them. 

Yes, it's special when I take a visitor from out of town to the market, and I'm greeted by name, but I've watched them greet total strangers who stop by, and those people receive the same warm and gracious attention I do. These vendors and purveyors of goods are part of the reason visitors to Charleston find our city so hospitable. They make me feel like one in a million, but mostly because that's part of their gift -- they share their bounty and their unique graces with the rest of us, and make the world a little better, one bit of deliciousness at a time. 

Thank y'all. See you next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment