Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Simply Calligraphy by Judy Derrick

I'm working hard to improve my hand lettering. Calligraphy has always mystified me, mostly because I am too impulsive to follow all the directions given. I wan instant results, and that just doesn't happen. However, this is the first book that has actually made calligraphy approachable to me, mostly because it is straightforward, and recognizes that though the idea setup will, with practice, produce ideal results, most people aren't going to build a calligraphy desk or acquire eleventy billion nibs and handles and inks. When Judy Detrick said to practice on notebook paper, I think I fell in love.

I'm still practicing, which is more than I've done with any of the other calligraphy books I've tried. My only wish is that there were more full alphabets for me to see and play with, but that's what the internet is for.

My thanks to Blogging for Books and the publisher for sending this copy my way. I have to keep it hidden so my granddaughter doesn't steal it from me when she comes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment