Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Life and Other Near-death Experiences and also The Art of Forgettingboth by Camille Pagan

Dang it! I meant to write a review of this much sooner. I enjoyed Life and Other Near-death Experiences in a light-reading-but-still-touched-on-deeper-issues kind if way. Plus it had a little Puerto Rico in it. The author did a good job dealing with the art of denial, particularly with regards to medical issues, and while things didn't tie up in a pretty bow (because that would be another book), she tied a firm square knot and left the reader hopeful. 

I loved the twin relationship in the book, too, both for the fraternal twinness and the sibling interaction/support. And, I liked the book enough to seek out her first book, which I have just finished.  

As for The Art of Forgetting, I had more difficulty getting caught up in the story. I've known a number of people with head injuries (enough so that I wore a helmet riding my bike long before it was fashionable or easy to find.) I've experienced first-hand the subtle and not so subtle changes that can occur in an injured brain (someone else's, not my brain, though at times I've wondered if I was the damaged one,beefing the world in a weird slant because of the vehemence of reactions thrown my way.) it's hard, truly. But my issue with the book is that the peri jury relationship between Marissa and her best friend Julia had weird pathologies without a brain injury.  There were a few moments I really liked (like the conversation about swans never forgetting wrongs done them, as opposed to human, who do, which led to the title of the book), or some of the ways the author chose to exacerbate and explore conflict and resolution. 

I'll keep my eye open for future books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment