Monday, January 18, 2016

The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton

I'm a bit at a loss as to where to start about this book. On the surface, it's about a woman and her deaf daughter who go off in search of her husband, convinced he's alive, even though he was supposedly killed in a horrible accident in the wilderness of Alaska, in the midst of winter's night. Good enough premise there, but the book was so much more than that. A book that entertains, but also teaches, is a gift. And if that book makes the reader think, examine issues and ideas, even better in my book (Ha! See what I did there?) So I learned about trucking in the Alaska winter, about Alaskan fauna, about the challenges of raising a deaf child, about native Inuit customs, about industry in the Alaskan frontier, about survival in the deepest of cold. And I examined, thought, about my ideas and beliefs about all of the above, and about that quality of silence that reaches into different aspects of life and love.

Thank you LibraryThing's Early Readers Program and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

Tags: 2016-readadvanced-reader-copydidn-t-want-to-put-it-downearly-review-librarythingliterary-mysterymade-me-look-something-upmade-me-thinkreadtaught-me-something

No comments:

Post a Comment