Saturday, August 16, 2014

In Search of the Rose Notes by Emily Arsenault

I picked this up because I've really enjoyed several others of this author's works. This one, however, I just found incredibly sad.  All the characters, both before and after Rose's disappearance, were deeply broken.  There wasn't a moment of lightness in the whole book. Writing was good, but I had to go sit outside on the dock, and feel the breeze on my face, the sun on my shoulders, to lift the darkness. Which only goes to show that though I found the book morose, the writing was evocative.

Why do so many books of late name a character Rose? This must be the eleventh or twelfth read, in recent memory, to do so.

Tags: a-favorite-author, made-me-sad, read, thank-you-charleston-county-library, thought-i-was-gonna-like

No comments:

Post a Comment