Sunday, April 14, 2013

New Spring by Robert Jordan

Though this book has been out since 2005, I'd not read it. At first, it was because I'd put the series aside for a while. When I started up again, Robert Jordan had died, and the series was being finished by another author, with the able help of Team Jordan. I decided to save New Spring to read until I'd completed the final book, so that I could end my Wheel of Time with Robert Jordan's actual writing. And I also wanted to read it before this year's JordanCon, which happens next week. Mission accomplished.

I did love the filling in of details to the beginning of the Wheel of Time story, especially since it involved some of my favorite characters. (Note: the first time I put the series aside, it was when Moiraine disappeared and Lan went off.)And I loved stumbling into some of RJ's catch phrases. So much fun, especially since I know the end of the story and who really is Black Ajah/darkfriends. :)






Ah, Jim, I miss you. As a friend, as an author, as the creator of a world that has brought so many people into my life through love of your writing. Thank you for sharing your vision with the world, and letting us into the world of the Wheel of Time. You are loved and missed.

1 comment:

  1. Back in the day, when I was working my way through college, I spent a few years employed by Waldenbooks. That's where I discovered Robert Jordan. I introduced so many fantasy readers to the Wheel of Time that I used to joke about demanding commission.

    I started reading the series with book one as soon as it came out, but honestly got discouraged as each new release took longer and longer. I finally stopped reading with the book after Moiraine disappeared. I didn't give up entirely - still bought each title as it came out - but decided to hold off until the series was complete, then start over. See...I'd forgotten that Moiraine was gone. If I'd forgotten such a major plot development between releases, it seemed best to stop altogether, then read them straight through when the series wrapped up.

    So now I'm starting again. It may have been a mistake, but I actually started with New Spring in order to hit the books in chronological order. I'm into The Dragon Reborn now, and enjoying them as much as I did the first time through.

    If I still worked at a book store, I'm sure I'd still be getting new readers hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete